Ex-IRGC Commander: Demands Already Filed for Purchase of Iranian Arms Systems
TEHRAN (FNA)- Former Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Mohsen Rezayee said that given the good quality of Iran’s arms products, several countries have demanded to purchase them from Tehran after the expiration of the UN arms embargoes.
“We have highly good-quality weapons and the countries which had sold us arms in the past have now demanded to purchase our weapons,” Rezayee, the secretary of Iran’s Expediency Council (EC), told reporters in Tehran on Tuesday.
“Our weapons are both inexpensive and high-quality and we can gain billions of dollars through selling arms,” he added.
Rezayee had also earlier this month said that removal of the UN arms ban has introduced a good opportunity to his country to boost its foreign currency income through legitimate weapons trade.
“Although arms bans against Iran were cruel and although the US and Europe will not abide by their removal, the government should correctly plan and use the international gaps as well as the needs of many world states to the advanced Iran-made weapons to gain new foreign currency revenues,” Rezayee said.
The Iranian Foreign Ministry announced in a statement earlier this month that the UN Security Council’s arms restrictions against Tehran have all been terminated in defiance of the United States’ efforts.
“As of today [October 18, 2020], all restrictions on the transfer of arms, related activities and financial services to and from the Islamic Republic of Iran, and all prohibitions regarding the entry into or transit through territories of the United Nations Member States previously imposed on a number of Iranian citizens and military officials, are all automatically terminated,” a statement by the Foreign Ministry said.
The longstanding UN ban on the sale of arms from/to Iran is terminated under the terms of the UN Security Council Resolution 2231 that blessed the 2015 nuclear deal between the Islamic Republic and world powers.
“As of today, the Islamic Republic may procure any necessary arms and equipment from any source without any legal restrictions, and solely based on its defensive needs, and may also export defensive armaments based on its own policies,” the Foreign Ministry added.
The statement made it clear that “the lifting of arms restrictions and the travel ban were designed to be automatic with no other action required.”
The Foreign Ministry said October 18 is “a momentous day for the international community,” praising the world for standing with Tehran “in defiance of the US regime’s efforts.”
The administration of US President Donald Trump suffered an embarrassing loss on August 14 as it failed to renew the Iranian arms embargo through a resolution at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
Russia and China voted against the motion and the remaining 11 council members, including France, Germany and the UK, abstained.
Following the humiliating failure, the United States vowed to use its “secondary” sanctions to block any arms trades with Tehran after the expiry of the UN ban.
However, Khatibzadeh tweeted a few hours before the announcement that Iran meets 90 percent of its defense needs, and does not need to be dependent on other countries when it comes to arms supplies.
It was also stipulated in the statement that “unconventional arms, weapons of mass destruction and a buying spree of conventional arms have no place in Iran’s defense doctrine.”
Shortly after the announcement, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted that the international community had “protected” the nuclear deal and Oct. 18 marked the “normalization of Iran’s cooperation with the world.”
“Today's normalization of Iran’s defense cooperation with the world is a win for the cause of multilateralism and peace and security in our region,” Zarif said.
Iran’s Ambassador to the United Nations Majid Takht-Ravanchi also hailed the UN Security Council for rejecting all the US efforts to prevent the expiry of the arms embargo.
“As of today, Iran’s arms trade needs no prior consent from the UNSC,” he tweeted.