Iran Seeking Global Justice for State Terrorism against General Soleimani
TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi said his country will send 1,000-page documents to International Court of Justice over state terrorism against the top anti-terror commander Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani.
“Iran has provided 1,000 pages of documents which will be sent to the International Court of Justice over the state terrorism that has led to the assassination of General Qassem Soleimani,” Alavi said on Tuesday, adding that targeting the US Ein al-Asad airbase in Iraq was a small slap and Iran keeps the right to deal stronger blow to criminals involved in assassination of General Soleimani in due time.
“All documents prove that state terrorism was involved in assassination of Iranian Commander and Iran provided 1,000 documents against the cold-blood crime,” the minister noted.
Iranian Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi
“Iran's Intelligence Ministry in cooperation with other bodies have prepared indictment which is ready to be presented to international justice,” Alavi said.
“They [Americans] conducted assassination, violated territorial integrity of a country, in total disregard of human rights they pretend to advocate and then made a gesture,” he underlined.
In relevant remarks on Sunday, Iranian Judiciary Chief Ebrahim Rayeesi said US President Donald Trump will ultimately have to pay for ordering assassination of top anti-terror commander Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani.
“Whether he is the US President or not, Trump should face retribution for the atrocity he has perpetrated,” Rayeesi told Lebanon’s al-Manar TV network on Sunday.
He called the assassination an example of “state terrorism” that occurred in a third country, while General Soleimani was on an official visit at the invitation of Iraqi premier.
“This is definitely an atrocity that does not comply with any of the international laws and regulations and humanitarian principles,” Rayeesi noted, adding that all the perpetrators are prosecutable.
“Tehran has got significant evidence related to the assassination,” the chief justice noted.
“We are keeping up our efforts towards prosecution of the culprits through a special tribunal at home, in cooperation with Baghdad, and on the international arena, including through international legal channels and the UN,” he added.
“If the evidence is examined independently and on the basis of international law and human rights, our efforts will bear fruit,” Rayeesi said.
“However, those behind the assassination should primarily be convicted in the international public opinion and conscience,” he stressed.
Lieutenant General Soleimani was assassinated in a US drone strike on Baghdad International Airport in Iraq on January 3, 2020.
The airstrike also martyred Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis. The two were martyred in an American airstrike that targeted their vehicle on the road to the airport.
Five Iranian and five Iraqi military men were martyred by the missiles fired by the US drone at Baghdad International Airport.
On January 8 and after the funeral ceremony of General Soleimani, the IRGC Aerospace Force started heavy ballistic missile attacks on US Ein Al-Assad airbase in Southwestern Iraq near the border with Syria and a US operated airbase in Erbil in retaliation for the US assassination of General Soleimani.
Ein Al-Assad is an airbase with a 4km runway at 188m altitude from sea levels, which is the main and the largest US airbase in Iraq. Early reports said the radar systems and missile defense shields in Ein Al-Assad failed to operate and intercept the Iranian missiles. Unofficial reports said the US army's central radar systems at Ein Al-Assad had been jammed by electronic warfare.
The second IRGC reprisal attack targeted a US military base near Erbil airport in Iraqi Kurdistan Region in the second leg of "Martyr Soleimani" reprisal operation.
Iraq said the attacks had not taken any toll from its army men stationed at these two bases. The US army had blocked entrance into Ein Al-Assad to everyone, including the Iraqi army.
The IRGC officials said none of the missiles had been intercepted.
Meantime, Iran announced in late June that it had issued arrest warrants for 36 officials of the US and other countries who have been involved in the assassination of the martyred General Soleimani.
"36 individuals who have been involved or ordered the assassination of Hajj Qassem, including the political and military officials of the US and other governments, have been identified and arrest warrants have been issued for them by the judiciary officials and red alerts have also been issued for them via the Interpol," Alqasi Mehr said at the time.
He said that the prosecuted individuals are accused of murder and terrorist action, adding that US President Donald Trump stands at the top of the list and will be prosecuted as soon as he stands down presidency after his term ends.