Rouhani Orders Speedy Relief Operations in Quake-Stricken Areas
TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani called for speedy relief operations in quake-stricken areas in Western Iran.
In a telephone conversation with Governor-General of Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad Hossein Kalantari, President Rouhani stressed the need to use all the province's capacities to advance relief operations in the quake-hit region and the need for temporary settlement of the people whose homes are damaged.
He said that due to the cold season, the relief workers should speed up services to the people of the earthquake-stricken areas.
A powerful 5.6-magnitude earthquake struck the city of Sisakht in Kohgilouyeh and Boyer Ahmad province in Western Iran, leaving at least 47 injuries, local officials said, adding that no fatalities have been reported.
A powerful 5.6-magnitude earthquake struck the city of Sisakht shortly after 22:05 (local time) on Wednesday.
More than 47 people have been reported injured so far, according to the official figures while the people of the city had to remain in open doors for fear of aftershocks.
The epicenter of the quake was located 10 kilometers East of Sisakht in Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad Western province, and 19 kilometers West of Komeh in Isfahan province at 30.89 degrees latitude (North) and 51.57 degrees longitude (East).
Search and rescue teams were dispatched to the quake-hit areas to assess the situation.
Many buildings and houses in the city are reported to have been damaged in the quake. While the water and electricity have been restored, people in the city are still in need of basic needs and are afraid of opening their stores.
The strong earthquake cut the electricity and water network and caused damage to residential units.
The same area was hit by another powerful quake in May 2018 which left at least 76 people injured.