Iran Discusses Bilateral Ties, JCPOA with Russia, China in Vienna
TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araqchi in a joint meeting with Russian and Chinese diplomats in Vienna reviewed mutual cooperation and the latest developments in the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
During the trilateral meeting on Friday night, the heads of the Iranian, Russian, and Chinese negotiating teams discussed the progress in the JCPOA talks.
In a relevant development earlier on Friday, the heads of the three European delegations (Germany, Britain, and France) met and held talks in a joint meeting with Araqchi
Araqchi also held talks with Deputy of European Union Foreign Policy Chief Enrique Mora on Friday.
"Despite last week's incident at the Natanz nuclear site, the JCPOA members remain ready for negotiations to go ahead," Mora said.
Araqchi led Iran’s delegation which includes representatives from the Central Bank of Iran (CBI), the Oil Ministry, and the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI).
After the incident the #نطنز (#Natanz) became the first trend on Persian Twitter. The Iranian people, officials and analysts reacted to this act of sabotage and shared their protest on social media platforms.
“The attack on Natanz facility is part of negotiations in Vienna. They want to say that if you do not shut down (the installations) and resist, we will shut it down ourselves or do something that you will not be able to revive your activities for a long time, or maybe it will be to persuade Iran to return to the nuclear deal in full. I think increasing enrichment to 60% is the right answer, and if the parliament makes such a decision, no one can say no,” Head of the parliament’s Research Center Alireza Zakani said.
Also, Chairman of the parliament’s Energy Commission Fereidoun Abbasi Davani said that the attack showed that “we should change our definition of diplomacy”.
He added that the perpetrators of the attack want to intimidate Iran amid the Vienna talks, stressing that they should receive a harsh response.
Meantime, Secretary of Iran’s Expediency Council (EC) Mohsen Rezayee warned of the enemies’ infiltration into the country’s infrastructures, calling for more vigilance.
Also, former Oil Minister Rostam Qassemi called for giving a harsh response to the attack, saying that the Iranian Army and Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) are losing their patience towards such acts of sabotage.
Former Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan also described the incident as an industrial sabotage act, saying that Iran will not surrender to such acts.
Senior Political Analyst Seyed Mostafa Khoshcheshm also said that the Sunday sabotage operations at Iran’s nuclear facility in Natanz was part of the pressures exerted on Iran under the carrot and stick policy, stressing that capability to produce highly-enriched uranium would reciprocate the US pressures and give Tehran an upper hand in Vienna talks.
Khoshcheshm further underlined the need for Iran to give a combination of a devestating response and a series of tactical strikes at Israel.
Meantime, Mohammad Sadeq Koushki, another political analyst, blasted Israel for the incident, saying that the regime will end its acts of sabotage only after receiving a heavy blow.
“The solution is to deal a heavy blow to the Zionist regime; a blow whose intensity will keep the regime from terrorist moves against security and interests of the Islamic Republic of Iran,” he added.
Also, Parviz Amini, a political sciences university professor, underlined the need for Iran to give a crushing response to the masterminds of the attack, saying that any concessions that the Americans and Europeans make in negotiations does not worth if the country does not respond to aggression.
In a first move to show Iran's hardening stance in reaction to the Sunday terrorist attack on Natanz nuclear facility, the country declared on Tuesday that the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) will initiate preparatory steps to start enriching uranium to the 60% purity level.
"Upon an order by the President, the AEOI has been required to launch 60-percent uranium enrichment line under Article 1 of the Parliament Law on 'Strategic Action to Remove Sanctions' and protect the Iranian nation's interests," AEOI Spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi told FNA on Tuesday night.
He further added that the International Atomic Energy Agency has been informed of Iran's plan, and pointed out that the 60-percent enriched uranium is used in the production of Molybdenum to be used for the production of different types of radiomedicine, with applications in the treatement of patients including those with cardiac problems.
The spokesman further explained about the preparatory steps to be taken tonight, and said executive plans will go under development to replace the damaged IR1 centrifuges with new machines with a 50-percent higher capacity due to their quality improvements.
Meantime, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araqchi who leads the country's negotiating team in talks with the G4+1 (Russia, China, UK and France plus Germany) in Vienna confirmed the launch of 60-percent enrichment on Tuesday.
"Iran has informed the IAEA director general in a letter today that it plans to start 60-percent enrichment," said Araqchi, who is now in Vienna for a second round of talks with members of the Joint Commission of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) on the removal of the US sanctions as a first step to revive the nuclear deal.