Iran: No Plan for Talks with US beyond N. Deal
TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Government Spokesman Ali Rabiyee said on Tuesday that the country has no plan to hold talks with the US beyond the nuclear deal and removal of sanctions.
“At present, there is no ground or need for talks between Iran and the US beyond the nuclear deal, nor do we have any plan for this type of negotiations. But the US has failed in this test in recent years, and the imposition of unilateral and illegal sanctions and refusal to return to the nuclear deal to date have shown that it cannot be a creditable party to continue talks,” Rabiyee told reporters in a press conference.
"No talks between Iran and the US outside the framework of the nuclear deal and outside the goal of full revival of the nuclear deal and the return of all countries to their undertakings based on the agreement is relevant," he added.
“We strongly ask the US government to speed up the process of reviving the nuclear deal. Each day of delay in this process further complicates the resolution of the dispute politically by raising the wall of mistrust,” Rabiyee said.
Asked about the results of the recent talks between Iran and the Group 4+1 (China, Russia, Britain and France plus Germany) in Vienna, he said, "Most of the talks on the removal sanctions and the parties' return to their undertakings have been accomplished and preliminary agreements have been reached. There are minor differences that will be negotiated until a final result."
Rabiyee, meantime, underlined the necessity for the US to lift other sanctions imposed under different pretexts in addition to those which had been removed after inking the nuclear deal by Tehran and the world powers in 2015.
“The bitter experience of the US disloyalty tells us not to give up even an iota of our national interests. The government has formed a working group to verify the US undertakings and measures in line with removing the sanctions with the partnership of the Oil and Roads and Urban development ministries as well as the Central Bank, and as soon as the US implementation process begins, it will carefully perform its responsibility to ensure that the undertakings are really fulfilled,” he said, adding that steps to revive the nuclear deal needs a political decision in Washington.
In relevant remarks on Monday, Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani said that the Americans have no choice but to remove all anti-Iran sanctions, adding that the failure of maximum pressure is a great victory for Iran.
“The fact that Americans have admitted the failure of their maximum pressure policy is a great victory for the Iranian nation,” Rouhani said in a meeting with Judiciary Chief Ebrahim Rayeesi and Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf.
“The Americans’ confession that their maximum pressure policy was the result of the resistance and steadfastness of our nation. Today, too, the Americans are obliged to terminate those sanctions are contrary to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action,” he added.
Rouhani said that this victory is the result of the guidance of the Supreme Leader, and the resistance of the nation and government.
Also on Monday, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said that the US should remove all sanctions against Tehran as a legal responsibility without using it as a negotiating leverage.
"Lifting Trump's sanctions, @SecBlinken (US Secretary of State Antony Blinken), is a legal and moral obligation. Not negotiating leverage," Zarif wrote on his twitter page on Monday, addressing Blinken who had claimed that Tehran should first abide by its nuclear undertakings in order to have sanctions removed.
The Iranian top diplomat underlined that the sanctions and pressures policy "didn’t work for Trump—won't work for you".
"Release the Iranian people’s $Billions held hostage abroad due to US bullying," he said, stressing, "Trump's legacy is past its expiration date. Drop it, @POTUS (the US president)."
Blinken on Sunday said that Tehran should abide by its nuclear undertakings in order to have sanctions removed.
"Iran, I think, knows what it needs to do to come back into compliance on the nuclear side, and what we haven't yet seen is whether Iran is ready and willing to make a decision to do what it has to do. That's the test and we don't yet have an answer," Blinken told ABC News' This Week.
This claim is made while Iran has repeatedly stated that the US is the party that has left the nuclear deal and it should first lift all sanctions, and after the verification by Iran, Tehran will reverse its compensatory measures.
The US, under former president Donald Trump, unilaterally withdrew participation in the agreement and re-imposed sanctions against Iran, which the accord had lifted.
The Trump administration subsequently launched what it touted as a campaign of “maximum pressure” against Iran, hoping to force the Islamic Republic to accept large-scale limits on its nuclear program and missile work, among other things.
The administration of US President Joe Biden has verbally renounced that policy and admitted to its failure, while expressing a willingness to return to the Iran deal. However, it has so far stopped short of taking any concrete steps to that end and retained the sanctions on the Islamic Republic.