2021-August-2 17:44
Politics
2021-June-18  17:25

FM: Nuclear Deal Renegotiation Impossible

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the US must remove all sanctions, adding that the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action will never be renegotiated.

Zarif, in his meeting on Friday with the EU Foreign Policy Chief Josep Borrell in Antalya, Turkey, stressed the need for lifting of all US sanctions against Iran, strongly rejecting the possibility of JCPOA renegotiation.

He expressed hope that the ongoing Vienna talks between Iran and the remaining signatories to the nuclear deal (Russia, China, France, Britain and Germany) will bear fruit.

Zarif arrived in the Turkish port on Thursday to attend the Antalya Diplomacy Forum (ADF).

In relevant remarks earlier in this week, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said some technical, legal and political issues have still remained to be resolved in Vienna talks between Tehran and the Group 4+1 (China, Russia, Britain and France plus Germany), adding that Washington should provide Iran with assurances that it would not repeat Trump’s disrespect for the nuclear accord.

“The US should make its own decision. The US should know that it is the wrongdoer and violator of the UN Security Council Resolution 2231, and it is present in the negotiations from the position of a wrongdoer, and it should provide the necessary assurances that it would not repeat what happened under Trump. The way back is quite clear to us,” Khatibzadeh told reporters in a press conference in Tehran on Monday.

He also dismissed speculations that the talks have turned into talks of attrition or the negotiators are killing time, and said, “We have very little time in Vienna for the remaining issues. The remaining issues require political decisions, and if the [needed] decision is made in Washington and the capitals, there will be a return to the nuclear deal.”

Khatibzadeh noted that certain technical, legal and political issues have still remained unresolved, saying that there is no stalemate and the talks are proceeding normally.

“The delegations will return to Tehran (and other capitals) and after that we can say whether the next round will be the last or not,” he added.

The US, under former president Donald Trump, unilaterally withdrew participation in the agreement and re-imposed sanctions against Iran, which the accord had lifted.

The Trump administration subsequently launched what it touted as a campaign of “maximum pressure” against Iran, hoping to force the Islamic Republic to accept large-scale limits on its nuclear program and missile work, among other things.

The administration of US President Joe Biden has verbally renounced that policy and admitted to its failure, while expressing a willingness to return to the Iran deal. However, it has so far stopped short of taking any concrete steps to that end and retained the sanctions on the Islamic Republic.