فارسی افغانستان العربیة English Türkçe
Politics
2021-December-7  20:32

Iran, G4+1 to Convene in Vienna Again on Thursday

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iran’s top negotiator Ali Baqeri Kani announced that he will meet his counterparts from the Group 4+1 countries in Vienna on Thursday for a second round of talks on removal of sanctions.

“In order to have more accelerated talks at this stage, we are also interacting and consulting with various parties in Vienna in this round at the expert level, but I found it necessary to consult with the Russian officials so that on Thursday we can continue the talks in a constructive and progressive atmosphere,” Baqeri Kani said after a meeting with Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov in Moscow on Tuesday.

He referred to Iran’s presentation of two proposed drafts to the representatives of the G4+1 (Russia, China, Britain and France plus Germany) in the last round of talks in Vienna last week, and said, “The two drafts were not plans and documents. During the six rounds of Vienna talks, the two sides had reached several texts, and we compensated for the deficiencies of the two texts based on our latest views and reforms and where we felt they have shortcomings compared to the 2015 agreement, and included them in the text where they needed to be completed and reformed.”

“Dialogue and negotiations takes place when the two sides put their views on the table and share them and talk to each other to reach a common conclusion. It is important that the talks have a basis. If talks have a basis, then they turn into negotiations,” Baqeri Kani said.

“The reforms and proposals that we presented about the two final texts of the Vienna 6 negotiations were based on the two sides’ common principles. They were not based on baseless expectations and demands and they were based on the documents agreed by us and the G4+1. We emphasize and the other side also admits that any side is authorized to present its proposals and initiatives based on its own interests, policies and goals but with respect to the two sides’ accepted common basis (i.e. the JCPOA),” he underlined.

Diplomats from Iran the G4+1 gathered in Vienna last week for the seventh time, after a hiatus in the talks because of presidential election in Iran. Five days of intensive talks ended last Friday after the sides returned to the capitals for more consultations.

Baqeri Kani announced Thursday that Iran has submitted two proposed drafts to the other parties concerning the removal of sanctions and Tehran’s nuclear commitments, and is about to put forward a third draft. 

The website of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) said on Friday that the Europeans’ lack of initiative in the face of the Iranian team’s “groundbreaking” proposals is dragging down negotiations in Vienna.

Iran's top security body quoted Baqeri Kani as saying, "The first document sums up the Islamic Republic's point of view concerning the removal of sanctions, while the second is about Iran's nuclear actions."

"In the third document to be presented to the other parties, Iran will state its views and proposals with regard to the verification period of removing sanctions," he added.

The top Iranian negotiator also told reporters before his departure that the country's new delegation to this round of talks was comprised of economic, financial and banking experts and officials, which "showed the Islamic Republic's determination to enter the negotiations with the purpose of achieving an agreement."

Speaking to reporters on Friday before leaving the Austrian capital for Tehran, Iran’s lead negotiator said the G4+1 group of countries has been given the chance to consult with their capitals on the Islamic Republic’s two proposed drafts, underlining that Tehran expects a “reasonable, documented and rational” response.

"It was emphasized that the proposals of the Islamic Republic of Iran on the removal of illegal and oppressive sanctions and the nuclear issue are on the table," Baqeri Kani said.

"Since the opposite side needed to consult with their capitals to provide a documented and reasonable response to these proposals, it suggested that the talks be suspended for a few days."

The senior Iranian diplomat noted that a new round of negotiations between the two sides would resume in the middle of next week.

The JCPOA was abandoned by former US President Donald Trump in May 2018. Trump then targeted Iran’s economy with what he called the “maximum pressure” campaign, but he failed to compel Iran to negotiate a “new deal”.

Iran and the five remaining parties to the JCPOA, Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China, began the talks in the Austrian capital in April with the aim of removing Washington’s unlawful sanctions against the Islamic Republic after the US voiced interest to return to the agreement.