Iran Blasts UK Deportation of Asylum Seekers to Rwanda
TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh deplored the forced deportation of asylum seekers from the UK to Rwanda as "a historic shame" for the British government.
"What is happening is a historical shame for UK government and all those who have made their utmost efforts to cover up their colonial history," Khatibzadeh said.
"Forced deportation and transfer of asylum seekers to the third countries and silence of countries as claimants of human rights and responsible international bodies are a source of shame and a clear violation of refugee rights," he added.
The political analysts argue that the UK government's plan plan to put its responsibility toward refugees on the shoulder of a third country exposes the refugees to violations of the rights mentioned in conventions on refugees and human rights agreements and completely ignores human and moral considerations.
Britain's first flight to take asylum seekers to Rwanda was pulled at the eleventh hour on Tuesday after the European Court of Human Rights issued injunctions to stop the deportation of the handful of migrants on board, a British government source said.
The British government's plan to send some migrants to the East African country has been criticized by opponents, charities, and religious leaders who say it is inhumane, The Independent reported.
London argues that deporting migrants who arrived illegally by crossing the English Channel in small boats from Europe would deter the dangerous journeys and smash the business model of people-smuggling networks.
In the last few days at least 30 individuals scheduled to be on the first flight successfully argued that they should not be deported to Rwanda on health or human rights grounds.
Just a handful were due to fly from an air force base in Southwest England on Tuesday but, hours before the plane was due to leave, the European court which rules on possible human rights violations granted injunctions to prevent their deportations.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan tweeted that the “inhumane” deportations had been stopped.
"Tonight's inhumane deportation of asylum seekers to #Rwanda has been stopped by the ECtHR - minutes before it was due to depart," he said.
“Sending people fleeing violence to a country thousands of miles away was already cruel and callous," he added.
“It's now potentially unlawful too,” Khan said.
"Last ticket cancelled. NO ONE IS GOING TO RWANDA," the charity Care4Calais, which has launched legal action on behalf of a number of the migrants, said on Twitter.